Together with Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York and Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, The Guggenheim Collection in Venice belongs to the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation‘s cultural heritage: the organization was born in 1937 with the purpose to “promote, encourage, educate in art and enlighten the people“.
At the end of the 20s, the American industrialist Solomon Guggenheim starts purchasing some works of the main painters at the time, to display them in his private apartment. After a successful traveling exhibit and with the help from the artistic curator Hilla Rebay, Guggenheim establishes a Foundation that can manage one or more museums in the world.
At the end of the 30s Solomon’s niece, Peggy, launches her own art gallery called Guggenheim Jeune in London, following her uncle’s steps. Later she exhibits her collection at Biennale di Venezia in 1948, showing for the very first time in Europe the most famous painters’ works (like Pollock or Rothko). The following year Peggy acquires Palazzo Venier dei Leoni, where she settles down with her collection.
In 1976 Peggy Guggenheim leaves the ownership of her collection to the Guggenheim Foundation, provided that the works stay in Venice. Three years later, after Peggy’s death, the Foundation becomes the true owner of the building.
An almost century-long story that keeps its aim: promote the art and teach the public all over the world.
For information and to book a table at Marciana Restaurant:+39 0415206524
Pic by Pixabay